Saturday, September 27, 2008

Starfish plant


The Starfish or Stapelia plant is a succulent that is very easy to grow. I grow this plant in full sun in my southern exposure window. During the warmer months it can be grown outside. Make sure you bring in before the colder weather comes. This flower as you can see has a starfish shaped flower. It smells like rotting meat. It is not as strong as the Amorphophallus flower. I have a thing for smelly flowers. The plant itself is attractive. I bought this plant as a cutting. It rooted quickly and has been growing like crazy. It is taking over....The flower only last for about 5 days but it is beautiful but smelly. It tries to attract flies to pollinate. I would recommend this plant for an easy growing houseplant. Go out and buy one today, you won't be disappointed..I promise... See you Sunday...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a really unusual plant. Never heard of it!
I like plants that are also a conversational item. Like the pregnant onion.

Wurzerl said...

Hi John, I love the name of the plant, is it the oficial name in English for this one? In Germany we call the Stapelia not so charming - the name is carrion flower! I think you know - why??!!!
Have a great Sunday Wurzerl

Anonymous said...

My grandmother had this plants for years and it never flowered. It's georgeous. Do you need to do anything special to make it bloom?